Monday, March 21, 2005

Ok, I'm back from my break. Actually, we (My husband, baby and I) had moved to Uk and I was settling down for the past two months (what a long time to settle!?!). Anyway, now that I'm back at blogging, we'll as well get started on our 'recipe of the week'...

Lentil and Vegetable Broth

Cooking Time : 20 mins.
Preparation Time : 20 mins.

Serves 6.

Ingredients

For the stock

2 tablespoons yellow moong dal (split yellow gram), washed
2 onions
2 large tomatoes

For the topping

1 onion, chopped
1/3 cup cabbage, shredded
1/3 cup spinach (palak), chopped
2 tablespoons baked beans
1 tomato finely chopped or tomato ketchup
1½ teaspoons oil
salt and pepper to taste

How To Proceed

For the stock

1. Cut the onions and tomatoes into big pieces.
2. Add the moong dal and 4½ cups of water and cook in a pressure cooker.
3. When cool, blend in a liquidiser and keep aside.

How to proceed

1. Heat the oil and sauté the onion for 1 minute.
2. Add the cabbage and spinach and sauté again for 1 minute.
3. Add the stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add the beans, tomato, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
5. Serve hot, with Celery Garlic Toasts.

Happy cooking.